MICHAEL JAMES BROWN
4562A California Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90807
SUMMARY: Marketing and print production professional with extensive background managing all aspects of the production of marketing collateral targeted for offset, flexography, digital presses, web, video, large format, screen-printing, or social media. Additional experience in sales, technology, custom publishing, purchasing and customer service. Actively involved in new and improved processes with emphasis on improving quality, adding value, increasing profitability and maximizing partnerships with third-party suppliers. Makes decisions using critical thinking, analytical abilities and good old-fashioned street smarts. Collaborative and resourceful team member with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate complex concepts into understandable processes.
CORE COMPETENCIES: Operation Management - Process Improvement - Project Planning/Development - Content Creation - Traffic Coordination - Team Building - Client Relations - Variable Data Specialist - Trade Show Participation
OPERATING SYSTEMS, SOFTWARE, EQUIPMENT: Mac OS9 through Mojave - Windows 10 – Adobe Photoshop CC - Adobe Illustrator CC - Adobe InDesign CC - Adobe Dreamweaver CC - Microsoft Office 2016 - Imposition Studio - Fusion Pro - Final Cut Express HD 3.5.1 SendBlaster 4 - SalesForce.com - Workamajig - Asana - Fiery Command Center 6.2 - Heidelberg M1000 - Konica Minolta Bizhub C1100 – Ricoh C9210 - Duplo 616 - Duplo 490 - Duplo CP 375 Duo - Oce Prostream 1000 – IBIS SB3 – MBO Finishing Equipment
DIGITAL PRINTING PRODUCTION MANAGER
TREND DIGITAL MARKETING SOLUTIONS, Los Alamitos, CA – Commercial Variable Data Printer
APR. 2019 – JAN. 2020
- Lead a team of 8 professionals in the fast & efficient production of high quality variable data printed collateral utilizing the latest in inkjet technology from Canon (Oce Prostream) and toner technology from Ricoh.
- Efficient production of client mailing lists of 100,000+.
- Attend regional & national conferences on quality and efficient digital production.
- Turned around a department with monthly losses of 50,000+ to profitability of 30,000+ in 3 months.
- Implementation of software and procedures that increased productivity and eliminated workflow redundancies.
- Efficient daily, weekly and monthly management of production materials and human resources.
- Develop and maintain excellent vendor relationships that achieved production goals.
PRINT PRODUCTION MANAGER/CUSTOMER SERVICE
LOTTOGOPHER.COM, Los Angeles, CA – Online Subscription Gaming Service
APR. 2016 – APR. 2019
- Manage weekly ticket production fulfillment via various third‐party vendors.
- Quickly and efficiently respond to inbound customer service inquiries and provide feedback via Desk.com.
- Work with Sales, Design, Quality Control, and IT to produce a positive experience for our customers.
- Analyze and report marketing activity of competitors in the Los Angeles Metro Region.
DIGITAL MARKETING DIRECTOR
ORGANIZED SPORTSWEAR, Rancho Dominguez, CA – Institutional Apparel Supplier
MAR. 2015 – APR. 2016
- Successful apparel tradeshows at NAESP (Long Beach, CA), TAPHERD (Dallas, TX) & CHSAA (Colorado Springs, CO)
- System Administrator of a successful porting and mapping of past CRM databases into Salesforce.com.
- Established a marketing calendar for trade show participation and product roll out schedules.
- Creation and deployment of a successful outbound email campaign sending 30,000+ CAN/SPAM Act compliant records per month using Photoshop, Dreamweaver, SendBlaster 3 & Turbosmtp.com.
PLAN B SOLUTIONS, Long Beach, CA. – Independent Print Broker
MAR. 2003 – MAR. 2015
Marketing Operations Manager for ING Advisors (9-month fill-in assignment.)
- Coordinated marketing collateral production process from conception through printing, web, video, DVD, etc.
- Current in Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection and Microsoft Office programs.
- Created marketing calendar based on ROI, competitive analysis, etc.
- Maximized limited resources for Facebook, Instagram, and You Tube social media campaigns.
- Directed photo shoots, press checks, and other creative and quality control processes.
- Developed keywords for numerous clients Google analytics and SEO optimization.
- Creative Services Manager for GES (6-month fill-in assignment.)
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
NEWS AMERICA MARKETING, Wilton, CT – National Consumer Marketing Company
NOV. 1996 – MAR. 2003
- Management of the Order Processing, Layouts, Contracts, and Pricing departments. $4 - $8 million weekly revenue.
- Managed production of a weekly 68 millions circulation magazine utilizing Quad Graphics and RRD prep centers, Creo Trendsetter plate makers and Heidelberg M1000 & M2000 presses at Quad Graphics and RRD printing locations around the nation.
- Created employee development and retention strategies that led to a reduction in department turnover.
- Conducted yearly managerial and employee performance appraisals, coaching and counseling sessions.
- Revised PDF/Applescript workflow which deleted 4 days out of a 17 day production cycle.
- Developed and maintained national vendor relationships to insure adherence to NAM production standards.
- Hired and trained 90% of new department, while maintaining existing department service schedule.
- Traffic Manager 1996 - 1997, Senior Pre-Press Manager 1997 – 1998, Director of Layouts 1998 – 1999
INSIDE SALES/CUSTOMER SERVICE
MATTHEWS INTERNATIONAL, La Palma, CA – National Flexographic Printing Supplier
OCT. 1994 – OCT. 1996
- Primary sales contact for new accounts and existing clients Weyerhaeuser, Georgia Pacific, and Stone.
GRAPHIC ARTIST/LITHO PREP TECHNICIAN
MOORE DATA MANAGEMENT, San Diego, CA – National Commercial Printer
DEC. 1989 – OCT. 1994
- Design and production of conventional and electronic commercial art.
DELUXE CHECK PRINTERS, Champaign, IL - National Commercial Printer
JAN. 1985 – SEP. 1989
- Supervised activities of technical staff in the production of plates for a variety of printing presses.
- Developed procedures that educed plant spoilage by 25% over a one-year period.
- Implemented process that guaranteed 3-day turnaround of client orders.
- Managed transition of department to new facilities with minimal loss of production.
- Researched and approved purchase of capital equipment, supplies, and vendors.
BACHELOR OF ARTS - APPLIED STUDIES
AZUSA PACIFIC UNIVERSITY, Azusa, CA
- Long Beach Ronald McDonald House - Walk For Kids Committee Member (2015 – present)
- Long Beach Poly Girls Volleyball Booster Club – Director of Fundraising (2015 – present)
- Long Beach Day Nursery – Board Member (2005 – 2008)
- Food Finders – Board Member (2007 – 2010)